06 August 2009

Changin' times

Husband's parental leave is coming to an end very soon. (Which also means we will be parents to a one year old - seriously - when did that happen?)

This means a whole new schedule for everyone in the house. Husband back to work 5 days a week, a change in my work hours and Hedgehog is off to day care three days a week.

Earlier this summer we discussed what we do if we couldn't find part-time care.... would I go back to work full time and send Hedgehog to daycare 5 days a week? When we had this discussion I got very upset and said NO! I was happy to go back to work early knowing I would have more time in the long run!

Wait. Did I say that?

What a revelation for all of us.

Now, we are staring the new schedule in the face and I am beginning to wonder what I am going to do two days a week when I am on my own with Hedgehog. I know we will be fine, but it has been a long time since just the two of us hung out together. Husband is nearly always around. Hedgehog always chooses Husband. It is great that the two are buddies, but Hedgehog is in for the shock of his life when it becomes just Mum and him.

Back to the question. What are we going to do together?

I get cabin fever and don't do well in the house. Hedgehog is past the point of happily sitting in a coffee shop with me in a wrap or stroller. We tried the playgroup thing. It really doesn't work.

Daily walks and outdoor time are going to become part of the routine. A friend or two are having babies in the next year - visits to them perhaps?

But really... what do you do with a one year old?

4 comments:

  1. I am a fan of playgroups. They are a great way to run off some energy in the winter. I can recommend two good ones if you want to email me. Both of the ones we've gone too are great and the parents are all super nice.
    We have started going to the Museum of Nature. There are lots of things to look at and places to play.
    It is great to have somewhere warm to go in the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks I will definitely send you an email to get some good playgroups. We have not had any good playgroup experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get a membership to the Experimental Farm, Science Museum and Aviation Museum. You get all three for 65$ a year for the whole family, unlimited attendance. Plus, they have a deal with other museums across North America. You can get in to the Children's museum in Wpg for free and the Science North museum in Sudbury for instance.

    The Rosemount Library has wonderful library programs. You don't have to register so you can drop in whenever you can fit it in. I don't register for things - too much pressure to attend.

    Do not do playgroups very often either. The one at Hilson School is really nice the times I've been. Although I've heard it can get really busy.

    I also used to take the kids swimming once a week at Plant.

    There is always the drop in at our place, provided we're not on holidays.

    darc

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second the recommendation for the Agriculture/Science/Aviation membership -- I've used ours frequently. The Farm is especially fun for the littlest ones.

    The Ontario Early Years Centres in our neighbourhood have always been a godsend as well. And the library has some excellent free toddler-time programs.

    I'm a fan of mall-walking, too -- I don't know about your one-year-old, but mine have been fairly agreeable as long as we keep moving. Malls, Ikea, Home Depot -- we do a lot of browsing!!

    ReplyDelete