12 April 2010

Cooking

I love to cook. In a fun, relaxed more than just sustaining us kind of way.

As I was packing up (or thinking about packing up) my cedar chest. The first thing I found was a copy of an article from the Winnipeg Tribune my mom sent. It was from the late 1970's and it all about my grandmother, my Amma, and her cooking. (I would love to post it, but am sure I would be breaking all kinds of copy write even though the paper no longer exists).

She covered her meat pies, pecan cake pie, and our family favorite... Mac & Cheese casserole. We always eat it like Mac & Cheese, but it doesn't have a cream sauce or anything traditional. It is baked up in a pyrex bowl and gets a wonderful crust on all sides. My dad always eats it with whole tinned tomatoes but the rest of us just ketchup. It is the only one of the recipes of hers that I make and make well. My mom always made it too.

I am hoping to learn to make more when we are in the new house.

1 comment:

  1. My mom always put canned tomatoes in mac and cheese too. I thought she was just trying to be healthy. Maybe it's a Winnipeg thing. :-)

    ReplyDelete