Somewhere between Calgary, Winnipeg, Grand Beach and back to Ottawa, we lost our sleeping through the night Hedgehog.
It started in Calgary with him sleeping in a pack and play at the end of the bed, and would wake up every time one of us would role over. A third tooth also appeared, which had an impact on the sleeping.
While in Winnipeg, it improved a bit. Hedgehog was in another room, but still woke up quite a bit in the night. He would scream if we left him the room, so we got into the habit of bringing him to bed with us. The only person who gets a good sleep is Hedgehog. Husband and I do not. It is not a pattern we want to keep up with, but also know that there are about three teeth working their way into that little mouth. We know he needs more cuddles and reassurance at night. We sure would!
However, I have started to wonder, when do we work at getting back to sleeping all night (or at least most) and not in our bed? When do we start sleep training? We were very fortunate in that Hedgehog just naturally started sleeping through the night (6 hours or more) from 6 weeks on. There were not many nights up nursing, or changing, so I never gave much thought to sleep training.
Were we just spoiled? Is all the hard work on sleeping now sitting in our lap waiting to be started?
For now, I am not really going to think about it. We are going to focus on making Hedgehog feel good, loved and secure as he struggles with a forth bottom tooth, and two top teeth coming in.
I envy that he was sleeping through the night on his own. I have heard of such children. Wish I had one.
ReplyDeleteHe might just start doing it on his own once you get back into a routine. Good luck.
Thanks! We always considered ourselves lucky. I think it is because he is very much like his mom and LOVES his sleep.
ReplyDelete