Don't get me wrong, I think public libraries are vital institutions, that are an integral part of a well rounded community. They are growing and adapting to the changing technology and doing a good job of it.
The primary problem for me is time lines. I can finish a book in a couple days, if there is no deadline. It is the deadline that does it to me every time. I find it hard to get into books, to motivate myself and finish the book before the overdue fines start to rack up.
Tonight, I paid off just shy of $10 in overdue fines.
From toddler books.
The last time I finished a library book without having to renew it or pay fines was 2003. It was the first piece of literature I read after university. I was desperate for non-academic and a something that I didn't need to give feedback or opinions on. That was East of Eden. I devoured the book and the words and the story and the escape from moving and job hunting. It took me less than 6 days.
Since then I have had that same total immersion in books, but always ones I have bought. Not sure what the psychology of this is, but what is becoming a common phrase in our house, it is what it is.
In hopes of turning a new leaf, and a strong desire to get out of the house, some time on my own and away from the toddler, I wandered the aisles of my local library.
I came home with:
- A book from the sale shelf for $1 for Husband
- A classic cook book for perusing and inspiration
- A short book of fiction from a Nigerian author
- A much longer book from a Canadian author
Ok... so I know with four books I am dooming myself to fees, but I am hoping to get into one of them quickly, and easily and then return the other, while keeping the cookbook for afternoon perusing. It's just none of the books in the house right now are inspiring me to read, and I am forcing my way through the one I am on. The last few have been a challenge to finish. It is time for new inspiration. Enter the library.
Now that I have renewed my library card and can reserve books online again, I plan on taking the suggestions from a couple of posts ago and see if I can get those in to my branch. Any others to add to the list?
Make sure you sign up to have them e-mail you when your books are due.
ReplyDeleteThis service has saved me a pile of money.
Also, you can renew the express reads once.
A friend is reading Water for Elephants right now. I forgot about that book and now remember really liking it when I read it.
I have not read it but have heard that the Book of Negroes is great.
If you like mysteries try Louise Penny. I really enjoy her series. It's set in small town Quebec and is lovely.
Thanks, again! I loved Water for Elephants. Devoured it. Husband loved it too. We think Eli Wallach should play the old guy in the movie.
ReplyDeleteWill update my account with all the email notifications. May save me ridiculous fines.
My dear, you're just thinking of it all wrong... I too never leave the library without paying a little something. But I prefer to think of it as my "library donation". That way I feel virtuous instead of irresponsible! :)
ReplyDeleteFaith