People react differently to kids with special needs all the time.
Another blogger recently shared this article on Twitter and it really got me thinking.
With all kinds of people we know we regularly fall into the "When everything seems fine" category. People are amazed at how well Hedgehog is doing and so are we. It does not mean that he no longer has serious medical issues. It does not mean he is getting "better". It does not mean he will outgrow whatever it is he has. (The lack of diagnosis after three years, still leads many people to believe this is a phase).
To tie in with how well he does is the common reaction "oh, that's normal for a 4 year old". While it may seem normal for a four year old, in our circumstance it is directly related to the multiple developmental delays and physical challenges we are dealing with.
For me, the question is always, how do I react? Do I argue? Do I educate? Do I smile politely?
It depends on the person who is saying it and how much energy I have.
Do I feel like dealing with the arguments, discussion, and disbelief that comes back?
Sometimes it all depends on the day.
What a great article and post. I know I often find myself putting my foot in my mouth about these things, and always wish I didn't.
ReplyDelete